Straying back from posts that are based firmly on my experiences, I have dug out a few references that speak for themselves. However, I do have my own tips and strategies that I use to stay motivated, which I will share with you. If you're interested in my ramblings, go below the delicious links I have provided.
A few sites with references on how to stay motivated:
Wikipedia's Reference on Writing Motivation
Time to Write - Blog
... there are hundreds upon hundreds of motivational sites. There is no way I can list them all. This is a mere sampling of the motivational resources available to you. If you want more, I suggest you go to google.com and start a search.
What I do for Motivation
- I set goals and rewards for myself.
- Write 500 words
- Kill A Character Prompt
- Kill a Village Prompt
- Save a Village Prompt
- Torment a Character Prompt
- Write a short story in one hour or less and submit it somewhere
- Spend four hours writing today.
- Reach $x number of words by end of day today on $story.
- Get up an hour early to write.
- Go to bed an hour late to write.
- If I finish $x number of words, I get chocolate. (Mhmmm chocolate.)
- Convince significant other it is a good idea to go out for dinner if I finish $x hours of writing this week.
- Buy new candles if I write $x hours of writing this week.
- I write about what I enjoy.
- I write about what I know.
- If I get blocked, I start a new temporary project.
- I focus on my goal.
- I give myself a day off.
- Identify my bad habits.
Quotes are something that motivates many people for some reason. I am no different. Here are a collection of quotes that motivate me when I am down, or keep me going when I am up on cloud 9 breathing the clean air of success.
- "Do you know, I always thought Unicorns were fabulous monsters, too? I never saw one alive before!' 'Well, now that we have seen each other,' said the Unicorn, 'if you believe in me, I'll believe in you."- Lewis Carroll
- “Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost
- "Try not to become a man of success but a man of value." - Albert Einstein
- "Every artist was first an amateur." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "Men do less than they ought, unless they do all they can." - Thomas Carlyle
- "Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true." - Leon J. Suenes
- "He who has imagination without learning, has wings and no feet." - Joseph Joubert